Friday, April 1, 2011

The One on The Red Wheelbarrow by William Carlos Williams

So much depends
upon


a red wheel
barrow


glazed with rain
water


beside the white
chickens.



This is a poem by William Carlos Williams, written in 1923. A poem in a sentence, a sentence in a poem.

We read this a few weeks ago in Language Arts class. The general opinion (with very rare exceptions) was that this poem was a joke, and due to poetry such as this, nobody really could aprecciate this genre fully.
I couldn't disagree more.
The first time we read it aloud, it was pure magic:

The color.
The consonants.
The stillness.
The vagueness.

I memorized it my first day and recite it daily so that I won't forget it. (As a matter of fact, I wrote it down here from memory. Only checked that I had not errors afterward.)

Now, everybody is entitled to their opinion! But if you don't find this poem to be magic, then my opinion is that yours is worth nothing.

The consonants.


SSSSo muCH DePeNDSSSS uPoN
a RRRed WWWeel BaRRoW...

They make such a perfect sound on the tongue and on the ears.

And the color! The color!
Red and white and glazed
You could say that without counting articles and such, color and images are 3/16 of the poem

I love it so much, in fact, that I did a recording of me reading it:



(Yes, I got a Vimeo account just for the sake of reading recordings. Yay!)


And here's a professional Youtube recording (by the author himself):

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...