Friday, May 6, 2011

The One on A Confederacy of Dunces

A Confederacy of Dunces

Pulitzer Prize. Say what?

The following is my Goodreads review for A Confederacy of Dunces:


A Confederacy of DuncesA Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
My rating:
1 of 5 stars

It is hard to review a book like this:

Where the writing is horrible.

And the characters are annoyingly shallow (no depth of character.)

The story line is one that most English teachers would gasp at.

And attempts at satire and comedy are weak enough, to give you amusement enough to last through another few pages.

And ultimately, it is very boring.


The hard thing about reviewing a book like this is that I didn't hate it (nor finish it.) I was simply very unamused, very bored, and feel like this was a horrible waste of time.


Kudos to those who have been able to like this dunce of a book.

View all my reviews




The first time I heard about this book was in Rory's graduation speech (HERE) and then the Rory Gilmore Book Club on Goodreads was going to read it, so oh well, why couldn't I? (Please don't mention the impending Nobel Project... that's coming, I promise!)
And then I read it.


My first impression was that it was easy to read. My second impression was that this book is supposed to be a comedy, and I could see nothing comedic in it.


I don't think I laughed once!


And, like my review mentioned, this is obviously a book by someone with no literary expertise. So my disbelief of the Pulitzer for this is not small.


I don't recommend it, at all. 


If you have ever read it, please do comment here! I want to know what you think. :)


P.S. New Fleet Foxes song! Love.

1 comment:

christine donee said...

I love the new fleet foxes. brilliant.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...