Friday, May 20, 2011

The One on Oh Romeo, Oh Romeo


No matter how sleepy or full of homework I am, I will always have time to read and post, so here I am. :) Thank you for bearing with my absence this beautiful month of May.

We're reading Romeo and Juliet in class. Interestingly enough, it has been a great let-down. I love Shakespeare, and tolerate love stories fairly well. (I did not cry with Gone with the Wind because of the love storyyyy! It was because Melanie died, duh. I don't know what my position on love stories is, in fact.)

I remember reading A Midsummer Night's Dream and being much more impressed than this. Oh well.

I have, however, highlighted some passages worthy of mentioning:

Romeo:
Lady, by yonder blessed moon I vow,
That tips with silver all these fruit-tree tops-
Juliet:
O, swear not by the moon, th' inconstant moon,
That monthly changes in her circled orb,
Lest that thy prove likewise variable.

Juliet:
My ears have yet not drunk a hundred words
Of thy tongue's uttering, yet I know the sound.

Tybalt:
Patience perforce with willful choler meeting
Makes my flesh tremble in their different greeting.
I will withdraw, but this intrusion shall,
Now seeming sweet, convert to bitt'res gall.

Romeo:
O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright!
It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night
As a rich jewel in an Ethiop's ear-
Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear.
So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows
As yonder lady o'er her fellows shows.
The measure done, I'll watch her place of stand
And, touching hers, make bless├ęd my rude hand.
Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight,
For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...