Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The One on Romeo and Juliet

The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet
I finished Romeo and Juliet and it was more than a let down. It was also a very annoying read.

However, now I'm more learned in Shakespeare, for which I can say that the genius did commit some big errors. Especially in this Elizabethan version of Twilight. (Or maybe Twilight is a modern version of R+J?)

Anyways:

Romeo and JulietRomeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

What's outrageous about Romeo and Juliet is not the goopy love story or the holes in the plot, after all, it's written by a genius, so how bad can it be?


What I can't believe is that it's the most famous Shakespeare play.


Why does everybody know about the weakling of the balcony scene and not about the magistral scenes of Henry VIII, Midsummer Night's Dream, Hamlet, and so on? How embarrasing is it that the stupid inclinations that led 21st century teenagers to fall in love with the annoying plotline of Twilight made people fall in love with the story of two hysterical adolescents with hysterical families and hysterical friends. I don't think even Shakespeare understood it. After all, this wasn't his story, he just edited the writing to make it poetry.


And about the poetry; I was hugely let-down. Where is the glorious Shakespeare of "shall I compare thee to a..." or various other sonnets?


I don't think I even know anybody that likes Romeo and Juliet or aprecciates it, or, worse of all, BELIEVES IT.


It's too easy to mock R+J. I'll refrain, I can only be mad at them.


View all my reviews


I was intending to write something funnier but somehow I'm in a rut as far as book reviews go. Maybe it's because I've actually been reading very little.

See yaaaa,
Anne

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...