Sunday, November 20, 2011

The One on The Tower

This is the final poem by WB Yeats before crossing him off the list!

The Tower is his most famous poem, however, it's extremely long, for which I took snapshots of what I thought were the highlights and here they are:








I don't think these are exactly in order.

Anyways, I want to start by saying that the purpose of this project is not for me to read literature that I can't quite full comprehend and then sing very hypocrital praises to the century old authors of the works.

I am, in fact, saying that I didn't like this poem.

WB Yeat's most famous poem.

Maybe it was a great thing I did to read it, because up to now I have been posting poems that nobody knows about him but that I liked.

Why didn't I like it?

Because, even though I admit to have read it only twice, I didn't understand it. And I didn't understand it because I didn't feel like understanding it. Upon reading it once again today, especially these highlighted terms of The Tower, I feel nothing. A strong poet, on my opinion, is able to impact with a piece of lyrica from the first up to the millionth time of reading a poem. Every time I read in time of daffodils, a poem by ee cummings that I posted a few days ago, I feel and learn something new. That is a great poet. Because if you feel the beauty or harshness of what they are saying, if you feel the beauty or harshness of their language, then you will read it again and again and keep it in your heart forever.

Because isn't poetry after all about feelings and passions and love and hate and LIFE?

Of course I understood imporant portions of what Yeats was trying to make us understand, but I wasn't interested in putting these pieces together in my mind.

How do you feel about poetry? Do you agree that the feeling is more important than the message conveyed?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...