Monday, December 26, 2011

The One with The Three Oddest Words by Wislawa Szymborska

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tie_ler/6224698146/sizes/z/in/photostream/




The Three Oddest Words

When I pronounce the word Future,
the first syllable already belongs to the past.

When I pronounce the word Silence,
I destroy it.

When I pronounce the word Nothing,
I make something no non-being can hold.


If that doesn't make you tremble in all of its powerful, ironical simplicity, then nothing will. The beauty of the contrast, of the irony. I, among other "authors", struggle incessantly with capturing irony, and yet here Szymborska has managed it in such a beautiful way.

Applause.

1 comment:

miros said...

Hey - thanx for this poem.
Easily mentally digestible - at first glace, but is it so??

But I cannot make head nor tails of the last line: " no non-being" Whats this?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...