Monday, January 2, 2012

The One on Doktor Faustus by Thomas Mann

I couldn't have picked a worse first choice for the Goodreads Nobel Group. Here's my Goodreads review:

Doctor FaustusDoctor Faustus by Thomas Mann
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I can't say that there's nothing behind Thomas Mann's reputation. He was obviously one of those rare men who are so intelligent that you simply wish you had never met them. Parallel to that thought, he's one of those authors so smartingly bright (pun intended) that you wish you had never read them.


I honestly hope I could say I finished this book. I did, in fact, finish it, but not in the truest sense of the word. That is, because after the arudous effort behind turning on page 300, my reading became, actually, skimming. I couldn't help it. It seemed as if I could foresee what Mann was about to say, so that my eyes flew over the words and in my mind all that I read was "bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla."


I don't think my mind was wrong,though, for every time I took it upon myself to read a page seriously, I found out that I hadn't missed a thing and then on went the "bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla."


Again, not my fault, really.


I will, however, give Mann a try again. I found a copy of The Buddenbrooks in my father's study which might call at me during some point or another, and I understand that my Mom ownes a copy of The Magic Mountain. Yet, for now, I'm satisfied with the thought that after all the work that it was to get to page 300, I still can't proudly announce to my inferiors that I have read Mann. (Which sounds sort of confusing if you don't really know who the bastard is.) I'm satisfied because it means I can stop putting myself through that torture.



PS. I do accept comments willing to enlighten me as to why this book is good.


View all my reviews


Anyways, it pretty much sums up what I thought of Thomas Mann. I'd give him another try, but in another decade or so.

Have a nice day!
Anne

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...